Cabin

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Playing with Bottles

I think it was Memorial Day weekend of 2004, I took a camping road trip with some friends to Eastern Washington (I was living in Everett, Wa. at the time). During our adventure we stopped by a cabin where a little get together was happening and that is when I saw this room, I did not notice until I walked in the cool circular shapes and light coming in. That is when it dawned on me that they put bottles in the walls, I stepped out sided and saw the other ends of the bottles. I was amazed at how cool looking this was and what a great idea. Flash forward to 2011 I find the movie "Garbage Warrior" and I start learning of Earthship's. I see more bottles being used and even more items the fill our dumps daily now being used to build with. This inspired me to do something myself. So I started small of course by making regular drinking glasses and vases. Now I have started making the glass bottle blocks for the Tiny I am building. Here are some pictures of the latest ones I am working on. This unconventional way of building is fun and challenging, I am learning new things while getting to use what I know at the same time. I like how bottles bring something unique to the project, each one is different...from the numbers to the little designs on the bottom of the bottle.

 

No comments: